I originally imagined I would have the Scratch cat call over a horse and then somehow get on board and ride off. I went ahead and started looking for the pieces I needed first. I searched Flickr and found a Creative Commons licensed background I liked and then used a website someone shared earlier this week, FreeSounds.org, to look for the sounds I wanted. I had no trouble with any of that.
I still wanted to animate the horse and decided to go ahead and use Photoshop to move the legs on my image. Here's where I ran into the limitations of the 10 block project. After getting started, I realized I couldn't use the block that changed costumes. So much for all that work! That began to be a running issue with some of the things I wanted to try. Again, I couldn't figure out how to make the cat get on the horse and ride off without the use of additional blocks. I also found that I wanted to make things happen based on another event (like the horse would come over automatically after the cat called to it) and I felt limited by the blocks I could use. Below is the code I used for the cat and the horse. As you can see, the horse was much more complicated because I wanted it to start off small and get bigger as it got closer.
Here were the questions posed to us for this project:
I felt that the project made really think about the 10 blocks we were given and imagine what you could do with only those tools. In that way, it was a great exercise in creativity. One look at the 10 Block Studio lets you see how everyone came up with different ideas for utilizing their blocks.
On the other hand, I did find it limiting because I had to drop ideas I wanted to try because I couldn't use the blocks I would need. I think it is a good exercise in problem-solving and could definitely see using it as an introductory assignment with my students.